This seaside commercial complex consists of five two-storey buildings of chattel house architecture and a one storey restaurant overlooking the Carlisle Bay. There is also an open-air lounge area set against a hardwood deck with walkways through a lush tropical landscape.
Originally erected in the 1800s, this site on which the Bayshore Complex was built, once located a private residence, then a hotel and later in 1869, through the assistance of a grant from the British Government, the military garrisoned here were able to build the ‘Lock Hospital’ for patients suffering from venereal diseases.
The Lock Hospital was originally established to offer medical treatment to prostitutes after the Contagious Disease Act was passed in 1868. The Act made it compulsory for known prostitutes to be registered and to have medical examinations and treatments if needed.
After the Act was repealed and the grant from the British Government was withdrawn, the 'Lock Hospital for Contagious Diseases' was closed in 1887, and the building was then used to house the Harbour Police Station until 1980 when the Harbour Police Unit was dissolved.
In 1999 the old Harbour Police Station building was demolished after being abandoned for a number of years and the modern Bayshore Complex was built.
Today it houses the Fusion Restaurant & Lounge Bar, which offers an outstanding selection of Japanese, Thai and Cantonese Cuisine.
This property is located in the Historic Bridgetown & its Garrison area
…A UNESCO World Heritage Site