After the departure of the British troops in 1905, the property was bought by the Barbados Government and became part of the nearby General Hospital.
It first housed the Pellagra Ward and later the old Eye Hospital. After the old Eye Ward was relocated, the building became the home of the Barbados Welfare Department.
This too was eventually relocated, and the building has since been abandoned and in a state of disrepair.
However, restoration plans are in the works for the area, which involves the construction of two office buildings and the reconstruction of the jetty with a fine dining restaurant at its seaward end.
The Old Eye Hospital Building is of Georgian architecture and is located on the lively Bay Street.
This building is part of Historic Bridgetown & its Garrison area
…A UNESCO World Heritage Site