he main house 'Queen's House
' located at QUEEN'S PARK
in Barbados was built in 1783. It was originally a military home for General Gabriel Christie the Commanding Officer of the British forces in Barbados.
Originally it was built as 'King's House'
, renamed 'Queen's House'
in Queen Victoria's reign, as a residence for the general officer commanding in this region of the Caribbean.
Some time later two other houses called the 'The Retreat'
now the 'Harrison College School' and 'The Pavilion' were added as residences for certain senior officers on the general's staff.
In 1905 after the withdrawal of the British troops the property was purchased by Government and was later opened in 1909.
The park has since undergone a number of renovations. Queen's Park now consists of:
- The main house - now a Theatre and Art Gallery
- Another Theatre Auditorium
- Play Park
- Solar House
- Toilet facilities
- Picnic tables & benches
- Restaurant & Bar
- A Fountain which was designed by Lady Carter the wife of then Governor, Sir Gilbert Carter
- A massive thousand-year-old African Baobab tree with a girth of over (60) feet
- An Evergreen tree which was planted by HRH Prince Albert, Duke of York (later King George VI) in 1913 while visiting Barbados.
- A sports field used for cricket practice by the West Indies cricket team or by locals for friendly matches on weekends.