St Matthias Anglican Church

On the South Coast of Barbados you will find St Matthias Anglican Church, situated in the Garrison Historic Area and home to the Dauntless Tomb Memorial.

History

After a need for a church in the Hastings area, John Mayers who was Clerk of the House of Assembly in the 19th century, donated ¾ acre of land for the construction of the church.

 Bishop Coleridge laid the foundation stone and Rev. A. Reece was appointed to the unfinished church in 1848. The opening service was held by the end of October of the same year, at which Chaplain of the Forces, Rev. W.W. Jackson preached. 

The church was later consecrated by Bishop Thomas Parry on August 2, 1850, and permission was granted for St. Matthias to be used as a garrison chapel.  

Later the burial ground was closed in 1854 after a yellow fever epidemic.  

St Matthias Church the Garrison Chapel
This church was used as a Chapel for the military forces of the British Garrison located on the island during the 18th century. It was used as the Garrison Church because there was nowhere else to worship in the area. 

The British Government leased the chapel for the soldiers at £75 per annum, with the Chaplain of the Forces conducting the Sunday morning service at 8am, and the Vicar conducted the evening service at 4:30pm for those who missed the morning service. St. Matthias still maintains its links with the military to this day, serving as the chapel to the Barbados Defence Force, with the Rector as its Chaplain.

There is a plaque on the church building, placed by the Barbados National Trust designating it as a place of architectural and historical interest.  

St Matthias Anglican Churchyard/Cemetery/Graveyard

The Dauntless Tomb Memoriallocated in the southern part of the churchyard
Erected in memory of those who lost their lives from the yellow fever epidemic onboard the H.M.S. Dauntless.

Mary Ann Hutton Tomb – Died December 1852 from yellow fever during a visit to the island

Tombs for pupils of Hastings Grammar School & Highgate Schoollocated in the north eastern corner
Died from the yellow fever epidemic of the 1850s

Other losses suffered during the epidemic are recorded at St. Matthias Church 

 

SERVICES:

Sundays: 7am & 8:45am (Sunday School at both services)

Wednesdays: 6:30am & 9:30am

Only the 8am service is held on the last Sunday on any month with a fifth Sunday.

(This also applies to every Sunday in August)

 

A priest is available on:

Wednesday: 10am – 12 noon

Friday: 6pm – 8pm

(Or by appointment)

Email: stmatthiaschurchbgi@gmail.com

 

This church is now part of the Barbados Garrison Historic Area.
…A UNESCO World Heritage Site

Click here for Tours of the Historic Garrison area… 





Contact Info
St Matthias Anglican Church
St Matthias Road
Hastings
Garrison Historic area
Christ Church
Tel: (246) 429 5733

Send St Matthias Anglican Church Postcard to a friend!

: http://www.anglican.bb/~stmatthias/
For more information:

Copyright © 1997-2016 FunBarbados Inc., All Rights Reserved.
funbarbados Home - Contact FunBarbados