The Common Cage, as it was called back then was initiated by Governor Philip Bell, but was terminated after his tenure, and rebuilt in 1654 after a riot in Bridgetown, instigated by many disgruntle seamen.
After a number of slave rebellions on the island, an Act was implemented in 1688 for captured runaway slaves to be detained in the new Common Cage, where they would be whipped and placed in a Pillory, until their masters came to reclaim them.
In 1818, after years of damage by natural disasters and several requests by the public to eliminate the Cage, it was relocated to the Pierhead area.
In 1838, the purpose of the Cage was nullified after slavery was abolished in 1834 and emancipation was gained.
Check out other
Points of Interest & Historic Sights/Sites in Historic Bridgetown & its Garrison…
…A World Heritage Site!