It also houses the world’s largest collection of 17th century English iron cannon.
Originally of the Barbados Militia, the British War Department later added buildings to provide defence and accommodations for the troops in the wars against the French.
During the 1800s a lookout point was built and St Ann’s Fort became the main command post and communication point for the (6) signal stations located around the island.
Guided Tours are available daily from 10am – 12 noon (by appointment only)
Attractions & Points of Historic Military Interest at St Ann’s Fort:
Soldiers Barracks (aka The Drill Hall)
This building was originally soldier barracks and was built on to the walls of St Ann's Fort in 1790. Later it became a commissariat, and was later renovated in the 1800s.
In 1881 it became the headquarters for the Garrison, and later a gymnasium and Drill Hall for the Volunteer Force, after the government bought it in 1905.
In 1979 it became the Officers’ Mess and Sergeants’ Mess of the Barbados Defence Force and remains such to date.
This is also where Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip were received on their state visit to the island.
Opposite the Officers’ Mess is the West India Regiment. This room contains memorabilia of legendary soldiers from Barbados.
The Stone Barracks
Built in 1791, the stone barracks was originally the Officers Barracks and housed 450 men, but was destroyed by a hurricane in 1831. The building was then repaired, adding arches to replace the wooden galleries.
In 1906 it became the Government owned St Ann’s Court apartments.
In 1979 the Government revert the property to its original purpose as military soldiers’ barracks.
BARBADOS NATIONAL ARMOURY MUSEUM
The Barbados National Armory is located in the old naval powder magazine at St Ann’s Fort.
It was opened in 2004, and now boasts a large and impressive collection of artillery, illustrations and artifacts of historic military significance on display.
The Barbados Armoury display includes:
The High Altitude Research Project Gun
This is the largest of its kind ever made and can fire as high as 99 miles. It is located on the grounds of St Ann’s Fort, at the front of the Soldiers’ Barracks/Drill Hall.
For Military Tours of Barbados' Cannon Collection and The Military Museum of the West India Regiment Click here...
When in this area, check out the rest of military sights & sites in the Garrison Historic Area