The Yacht Club building was originally built around 1810 and was known as “Shot Hall”. It was the private residence of the Chief Commanding Officer of the Royal Engineers stationed here at the British Garrison.
At that time the property was part of the Bay Plantation Estate which stretched from Carlisle Bay to Charles Fort.
As a meeting place and social club for club members and visiting yachtsmen, the club created a sailing programme for Sailboat racing held every weekend, inclusive of dinghy regattas, inshore races in Carlisle Bay and offshore races.
The facilities are also used to teach sailing through the Barbados Sailing Association’s ‘Learn to Sail’ programme.
The Club House and Ballroom of the Barbados Yacht Club has successfully hosted and catered many events, ranging from beach BBQ to black tie affairs.
All forms of racing are conducted; in addition, several local racing boats regularly participate in overseas regattas in the Caribbean islands of Bequia, Carriacou, Antigua, Grenada, St. Maarten and Tobago. Local dinghy sailors also compete in regional and international regattas.
Barbados Yacht Club is the venue for sail training courses offered by the LRN2Sail in association with the Barbados Sailing Association and Barbados Optimist Dinghy Association. These courses are for both adults and children and are held throughout the year. The after school program takes place on afternoon after school, and on Saturdays during the school term, and sail training camps are held during school vacation at Easter, Summer and Christmas. In addition individual lessons are available by prior arrangement any day of the week including weekends
Barbados Yacht Club Facilities include:
SPECIAL YACHTING EVENTS - REGATTAS